Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sleep. Love Sleep.

When I was a teenager, once upon a hell of a long time ago, I remember running on a few hours of sleep a night, sometimes only taking a quick power nap. Nothing was more important than hanging out with friends and house parties. Go out Friday night until the wee hours of the morning (seriously, like 3:00 AM - the perils of my push-over of a single mom. SORRY, Mom!) and then waking up at like 8:00 to go to my part time job for eight hours on Saturday. Didn't need coffee, just my young age to keep me going all day.


Since becoming a mother in 2005, I have come to appreciate sleep.


If I don't get enough sleep during the weekdays, my mornings are pretty interesting. Here are some reasons that I need to get eight hours of sleep a night:


1.) I wake up resentful of the person sleeping in next to me because he has a day off. As a result, I make as much noise as possible to wake him. (Hey, if I can't sleep in, NO ONE can!)


2.) It is no fun putting your child's bubble gum flavored toothpaste on your toothbrush only to realize it a moment after it enters your mouth.


3.) I am an adult now; therefore, I shouldn't get my left hand and my right hand confused, resulting in putting a sippy cup full of milk in my mouth instead of the cup of coffee I am holding in the other hand.


4.) Slippers are not appropriate to wear to work.


5.) It is illegal for your child not be buckled in while driving. (Thank goodness I have a responsible 3-year-old who is more alert than Mommy and will scream, "I'm not buckled in, Mom!")


6.) Bad idea to whiz past your child's daycare, because frankly, she is too young to be put to work at the office. (Again, thank goodness for my child who pipes up to say, "I don't see my school, Mom." Making it possible for me to pull a quick, and illegal, U-Turn.


Man, Sleeping Beauty didn't know how good she had it. Personally, knowing what I know now, I would've smacked Prince Charming across the head for waking me.

No comments: