Thursday, November 12, 2009

NaNoWriMo

Everyone is either taking part in or blogging about NaNoWriMo, so I figure I put my two cents in also.

I don't get.

From November 1st to November 30th, the goal is to keep writing. The only stipulation is that you finish your book with at least 50,000 words by the end of the month. Here is a quote from their "About" portion of their website:

"Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down."

To take a page from Mary J. Blige: I can do bad all by myself. I guess I just don't understand all the hooplah about a website that asks you to care about quantity, not quality.

For all of us that write but can't get published, isn't every month NaNoWriMo?

P.S.
I am 9,960 words into my second book.

2 comments:

Pam Harris said...

Great point--I think that's why my participation has wavered a bit. I already feel guilty about not writing as much as I'd like to--what with school, a fulltime AND partime job, and trying to have some ounce of a life. Comparing my low word-count to others doesn't exactly get the creative juices flowing.

Anonymous said...

One year I reached 30,000 words but it was so messed up I didn't even want to try and edit. I felt like I wasted a bunch of time.

Now I just try and write quality everyday. Even if it's just a sentence. I might not reach 50,000 words but I'm okay with that.