Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Weigh-In Wednesday #21

I am back in Onderland. Hopefully my stay will be longer than two weeks! I lost 2.4 pounds this week. I am positive the weight loss had everything to do with boot camp on Monday. My legs are still sore!

Let me share with you the workouts that we had to do at boot camp on Monday...

***Disclosure! I don't know all of the terms of the workouts, so they may be a little off. Bear with me.***

Like I said, I arrived a few minutes late, but they were just starting their warm-ups. The warm-ups consisted of doing jumping jacks down half the length of a football field. Then we had to go the rest of the way doing high-kicks (you are basically skipping but you lift one knee up as high as you can, then switch to the other knee). Still doing warm-ups, we turn around and do frog jumps. Next is a sideways shuffle where your arms are straight out to your sides and your left leg crosses in front of your right leg, then behind it.Then turn around and do it again switching legs - right leg crosses in front of and then behind the left leg. Sound complicated? It kind of was because I seem to have two left feet. Plus I was tired at this point. Have I mentioned this was just the warm-ups?!

Ok, now that I have a good sweat going on, the real workout begins. We start by doing burpees (this term I did not make up. That is seriously what they are called). Immediately, one of the regulars exclaims, "Ugh! Burpees? I hate burpees!" I shortly found out why she hated them.

A burpee is where you start in the crouching position with your hands on the ground. You kick your feet back so that you are in the plank position, you do a push-up, kick your knees back up to your chest, then spring up with your hands in the air. I found this video for your viewing pleasure. The only thing that wasn't included in the video is the push-up. She had us do 30 of these, to which I replied, "Don't people train to do 30 of those?" Hey, it was my first day, I can complain! Somehow, I managed to finish them.

Next, was circuit training consisting of nine cones placed in a large circle. Each cone was a particular exercise and each "round" was two minutes long:

Cone 1: Bicycle crunches
Cone 2: Push-ups
Cone 3: Squats with a weighted ball
Cone 4: Planks
Cone 5: Bicep curls
Cone 6: Pelvis lifts (not sure what you really call it, but you are lying on the ground with one leg straight out and the other leg is bent. You push your pelvis up through the heel of your bent leg. This totally got my hamstrings burning!)
Cone 7: Resisted run (a stretchy group of bands are placed around your waist and the trainer holds the ends behind you as you run in place)
Cone 8: Agility test (two cones are set two feet apart. In a fluid motion you start on the outside of one cone, then hop in between the cones with one foot, followed by the other, and then hopping to the outside of the second cone also one foot at a time.)
Cone 9: Over-head tricep curls with a weighted ball.

After the cones, we had to run one lap around the track. I knew I could do it since I have been running in the mornings (by the way, when I say "running" it really is jogging to normal people. Really though, a slow jog/fast walk). It took me two minutes and 31 seconds to complete it the lap. I was beat tired.

The last two exercises concentrated on abs. There were six of us, but one participant's 9-year-old daughter decided to join in for this one. Oy vey! The seven of us lined up on the ground. The only thing touching the ground was our bottoms. Our legs were bent and off the ground, and our upper bodies were off the ground too. Then we had a weighted ball where you touch one side of the ground, then the other side, then pass it to the person next to you. The ball had to go all the way down the line AND BACK before we could relax.

The last exercise of the night was simple, but took me FOREVER to finish: 50 sit-ups. Not crunches, but full on sit-ups. Suffice it to say that the 9-year-old finished her 50 while I was completing sit-up number 15. Aah to be young again!

After class was done, the trainer took my measurements. They are still too ghastly to share with you all, but hopefully that will change soon!

Weight: 199.2
Reason for Weight-loss: The countdown to "Fit Into That Bridesmaid Dress" has officially begun - only 31 days left til the wedding!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sucks that it is raining today, I was ready for some Bootcamp! But I am not about to do it in the rain, I will join you when the sun comes back!