Monday, May 17, 2010

Attention Working and Writing Mothers: How Do You Do It?

I want to write, I really do, but between my 8-5 job, my quest to the land of Skinnybitchdom, house chores, and spending time with the fam, I find that writing is the last thing I have time for. I know I am not the only working mom out there that likes to write, so how do you do it? Here is a breakdown of my Monday through Friday schedule:

6:00-7:20 Wake up, get myself ready and my daughter ready (if it is a running day, Tuesdays and Thursdays, then I wake up at 4:45 am then come home and shower).
7:45 Drop Bella off at daycare.
8:00-5:00 I am at work. Sometime during my day at work, I find the time to blog a little bit. 
5:15 Pick Bella up from daycare.
5:30 Go to the gym (on Tuesdays I take Bella to gymnastics at 5:45). By the way, the Kindle was made for the gym! I love it - no clunky book to mess with, no page turning. Brilliant!
7:00-7:20 Arrive home.
7:30 Eat dinner.
8:00 Give Bella a bath.
8:30-8:45 I shower.
9:15ish-10:00 or 11:00 Watch TV with John while doing laundry.
10:00-11:00 Get to bed.

Seriously, how do you working mothers do it?! 

By the time the weekend arrives, all I want to do is chill on Saturdays. As you can see from my weekday schedule, there isn't much Bella time and I make up for that on the weekends. Since I do little to no cleaning during the weekdays, Sunday is my big house chores day. I am sure I could squeeze some writing time somewhere on Saturday or Sunday, but it is difficult.

I think that a lot of it has to do with how passionate one is with their current project; the more you are into something, the more time you find to do it. I have started reading Cassette from My Ex, which is a compilation of stories about past, real-life relationships in which a mixtape was produced.

Of course I had to go check it out! I did, after all, write a book about just this subject matter (which, if you are new to my blog, you can read the query here). I have to say that I love the book so far. A lot of the songs aren't ones that I am horribly familiar with (apparently mixtapes were more common among the indie rock junkies), but I can still relate to every single one of the stories I have read so far. 

I haven't given up on Nori and Mason's story, so I got Cassette from My Ex in hopes that it would ignite another spark in me to rewrite my book. I think I may have reached that point. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Cheyanne said...

I'm a working mom to a 6 year old! Here's my schedule:

6:30-7:15: wake up, get dressed, take the kid to school, go to work.
8-5: work, or pretend to work
6-7: get home, cook dinner
7-830: hang out with family, kid's bath and then bedtime

845-9:30ish - YAY! I get to take a shower!

930ish-11pm, sometimes even midnight: WRITING TIME! Double YAY!

My word goal is 500 per day, I can usually knock that out in 45 mins.. sometimes I get on a roll and write until midnight and just put up with being tired the next day.

Fridays are awesome days because my daughter has dance class for an hour so I bring my laptop and have an entire extra hour to write.

On the weekends, I never write at all. That's when I catch up on housework and laundry. I'm also on a quest to skinnybitchdom, and I'm lucky enough to have a gym at work, so I work out during my lunch break and eat lunch at my desk.

Melanie said...

Wow! I am pretty sure you are the new Super Mom. Going to bed at midnight and waking up at 6:30?!

I started taking my netbook to my daughter's gymnastics class, but I would get distracted so easily. I found that reading was a better task.

Ok, I think I will have to do just suck it up and start writing while everyone in the house is asleep.

Oh, and thanks for becoming a follower!!!

April Plummer said...

I'm only a (soon-to-be) stepmom, so we have the Little One 50% of the time. It's crazy - but I actually write more when we have her! I'm not sure why...but if she's just watching a movie or working on some craft or something, I take that time to write. When she's not there, my (soon-to-be) husband and I spend all our time together, and I don't end up writing. At work though, on my down times, I do.

You're right. It's hard. There are so many things happening, it's hard to even get into the mindset of my characters because I'm thinking of the summer packed with activities, bill that need to be paid, laundry that needs to be done, the workout I better do...

That didn't really help, did it?