Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Left! Left! Left! Right! Left!

At six o'clock last night, my palms were sweating and my heart rate was elevated from anxiety. I was driving to my very first *gulp* boot camp class!

That's right, I, Princess Melanie, went to boot camp. My body has pateaued with the workouts I keep repeating at the gym. I know I could lose weight faster if I could just watch what I ate. But apparently I would rather torture my body with exercise than control what enters my mouth. So I needed something new.

I had looked into the Snohomish County Boot Camp a few weeks ago, but chickened out after corresponding with the lead trainer. I was all gung ho to go get my butt kicked at boot camp until I expressed a concern that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the class. The trainer emailed back with, "If you've been going to the gym 4 days a week, you'll do just fine and we do have people of all different fitness levels come. We have beginners who can barely jog 1 lap around the track..." Wait a minute - I can barely jog around the track. I mean, I can do it but I am very winded afterwards. Yes, even though I have been running in the mornings for the last three weeks. So I chickened out and didn't sign up.

Two weeks later, the scale is moving in the wrong direction. I decided I had no choice. I had to do this. And besides, I get one week free! So, with trembling fingers, I signed up online. All day yesterday I was scared out of my mind. What if my knees give out? My arms are sore from my previous workout, what if I can't do any of the exercises? What if they scream at me?!

All sorts of horrifying thoughts kept running through my mind until quitting time at 5:00. The term "Boot Camp" just sounds so foreboding. But it was too late to cancel. I was signed up.

I pull in at 6:04 (the trainer knew I would be a bit late) and they were just getting started. The trainer, was easy to spot. She was this cute Asian girl with Oakley's on. She greeted me from across the field with a warm smile, "Are you Melanie?"

From that point on, I was able to relax. The trainer had me jump right in. It was super challenging, but you work at your own pace. Really, it was like your high school PE class - but harder because you are ten years older and are packing on a few - ok a lot! - of extra weight.

I was lucky the trainer was nice. She was motivating and worked us out hard without being overbearing. I don't know that I would be going back if the founder of the boot camp was the trainer: His name is Mr. Pain. 

So, if you are tired of your same ole, same ole gym workouts, I suggest hitting the outdoors with a boot camp class. It was great to be with other people working towards the same goal as you and who were struggling just as hard. You aren't the only one!

3 comments:

Pam Harris said...

Just seeing the phrase "boot camp" makes me shudder, but your post is a little reassuring. When I was reading your account, I realized how much I would LOVE to read a story about someone's experience at like a summer-long boot camp. Just something for you to think about. :)

Melanie said...

Love it! "My summer of Boot Camp for the Fitness Challenged"

germaine said...

I didn't know you actually did it. You never told me! Or maybe you did and I'm a terrible listener. Nonetheless, congrats on throwing yourself into the fire. That's the only way you get tougher. You know I love a tough boot camp workout, so I wish I could join you. I'll be with you in spirit. Just picture me lagging behind you eating Doritos while we run the track. Old school.