Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Little Too Much Jiggle

I hate running.

Hate it.

Give me the elliptical, the stairmaster, and even the bike (my second least favorite machine!) and I will be ok. But running is the ultimate evil! It probably has a lot to do with that fact that I have too much body jiggling around. But I was inspired by Body by Pizza to start running.

A co-worker gave me a running schedule that she followed when she first started running. It is meant to build your endurance so that I will eventually be Forrest Gump. The first week looked simple enough:

Tuesday: 5x (1 minute run; 1 minute walk)
Thursday: 3x (2 minute run; 1 minute walk)
Saturday/Sunday: 3x (2 minute run; 1 minute walk)

On Tuesday, I woke up at 5:00 am and walked across the street to do my run (my neighborhood is way too hilly and I don't want to frighten my neighbors by creating a small earthquake as I stomp by their house). First run is fine. Second run is still good. By the third minute of running, I was slowing down and huffing a little. The fourth run is where it started getting really tough. By the fifth running minute I was barely jogging!

Despite how large and in charge I am, I go to the gym often enough that I didn't think running for a minute and walking for a minute would be a big deal. But it was! Have I said how much I hate running?

When I came home, I was desperately hungry and threw together this egg white omelete filled with spinach and white cheddar. It looks bland and boring, but it was super delicious! Including the Smart Balance butter that I cooked the omelete with, this dish came out to about 317 calories.

Today, I decided to drive to the local middle school and run on their track. I found that I prefer the track to running on the sidewalk - probably because I must look like a burglar running through a neighborhood at 5 am in my hooded sweathshirt and warm-ups; but the moment my feet hit that orange track, I felt like a freaking track star!

Surprisingly, today was much easier than Tuesday even though I was running for two minutes at a time instead of one. I am sure it had to do with the fact that I only had to do the set three times. Oh, and because I am a track star.

By week six, I am supposed to be able to do a 6 minute run, 1 minute walk, 5 minute run, 1 minute walk, 4 minute run, 1 minute walk. Uh, yeah, we will see how that goes.

No comments: