Friday, January 29, 2010

SBD, Here We Come - Watch Out!

Let's go back. Way back. Back to mid-January 2005. My weight was 209 lbs. It had been my heaviest weight to date. I had a Mexico vacation planned for Spring Break. There was no way that I was risking being mistaken for a beached whale. I had a little over two months to lose as much weight as possible.

I knew the weight wasn't going to fall off on its own so some drastic measures had to be taken. My bestie, Lauren, and I decided to try The South Beach Diet since her roommate had the book. I also decided to go to the gym on a regular basis.

I went all in. I became a hardcore gym rat to the point that 4-5 times a week wasn't enough and I ended up going to the gym for 21 days straight; I would alternate days of just doing one hour on the elliptical and the other days doing one hour on the elliptical plus about 60-90 minutes of weight-lifting. Like I said, I was hardcore.

Two months of living at the gym and not allowing a single carb enter my mouth paid off. I was down to 179 lbs by the time Spring Break rolled around in March.

But the weight loss didn't last. I came back from vacay and a series of events got me to the point I am today: I fell off the diet, got pregnant (which of course was an excuse to eat anything and everything), gained the 30 lbs that I had lost, and gained another 30 lbs of baby weight.

And here we are today.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, because I am going back on The South Beach Diet as of Monday. For the entire month of February, I will be on Phase One; this is the toughest phase because it is the most restricitive. In this phase, there are absolutely no carbs or sugars allowed, which means no fruit!

My hope is that I will lose 20 lbs by the time March rolls around and I have to go shop for a bridesmaid dress. I have enough knowledge about this diet to be very careful once I enter Phase Two. I am hoping that I will gain and maintain some better eating habits.

Wish me luck on my SBD Challenge 2010!


3 comments:

ImperfectAnna said...

Good luck! I thought about going back on it, too. I'm not quite THAT motivated yet though. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Pam Harris said...

I LOVE the South Beach Diet! I lost 80 pounds almost 4 years ago mainly due to that. Of course, I gained about 30 back now, but that's because I got lazy. Phase 1 is hard, but the results make it totally worth it. Good luck!

germaine said...

SBD...I thought you meant silent but deadly. Anyway, see you in March, being that I am the official diet wrecker. Good luck and I hope you achieve your goals but know that you're beautiful regardless!!