Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Weigh-In Wednesday #8

Slow and steady wins the race! I have dropped a very satisfying 3.2 pounds this week! My weight loss is surprising considering the Red Lobster biscuit excitement on Friday, the drinking and pork belly sandwiches on Saturday, the Costco pizza on Saturday (AND some leftovers on Sunday!), and the 800 calorie salad on Monday. How the heck did I lose any weight?

Thanks for asking, I would love to answer! First, I low-carbed it on Monday and Tuesday. I meant to do carb-free, but I just can't eat dinner without some kind of carb!

Second, I worked out really hard last Thursday and then yesterday too. I mean hardcore stuff. And I am not talking about just working out my body. My patience was tested for an hour last night at the gym.

I hopped on one of the elliptical machines located at the front of the gym, right in front of a wall of glass. Everything started out fine. Ten minutes into my workout, there was man at the machine behind me that starts breathing heavily. Twelve minutes into the workout, he starts doing this barking/honking/hacking/sneezing sound.

Every.

Two.

Minutes.

That man was either sick (thanks for exposing the entire gym to your illness), he was about to pass out from elliptical exertion (get off the machine and do a brisk walk on the treadmill please), or he had Tourrettes. The Tourrettes would be forgivable because he couldn't help that. But if it was any of the other two reasons, I am banishing him to gym hell! Good for you for working out Honking Man, but please save the rest of us our sanity and buy yourself an elliptical so that you can bark in the privacy of your own home.

Gosh that is obnoxious, right? Well, it doesn't end there.

At the 24 minute mark, a girl walked by me, set her stuff down in front of the windows, and got onto an elliptical, two machines down from me. I was surprised anyone would want to be in my area because of Honking Man, but whatever. Twenty-four minutes and 52 seconds later, an offensive smell enters my olfactory epithelium. I instintively blow it out of my nose. Then nature calls for me to inhale again. There it was again. The smell. It was the distinctive scent of a woman who showers but only once a week. I believe I caught her on day six of her showering cycle.

So there I am, with Smelly Lady to my right and Honking Man directly behind me. Honk, wheeze. Stench. Honk, wheeze. Stench....

Why didn't I move machines? Well, because I am the type of person that has to keep going, otherwise I don't get that feeling of gratification for doing the elliptical for an hour straight. 

Because I was being stubborn about moving, I had to do something else. To save my nose hairs from burning off, I started breathing through my mouth. Then I concentrated on the swish-swishing of the elliptical to drown out the sound of Honking Man. I was Yoda. Peaceful and zen.

Bullshit.

It was 40 minutes of pure torture. But overall, a torture I imposed on myself by not moving machines. Thank goodness I lost weight, otherwise last night would have been for nothing. This was a good week. We are back on track! (I hope!)

Weight: 207.6 lbs.
Total Weight Loss: 22.4 lbs.

No comments: