Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Behind the Times

I bought my mom a Pilates DVD and balance ball from Costco like 10 years ago. Thus far, the DVD has never been taken out of its case and the balance ball has mainly been used as a seat or for my daughter to bounce and roll on. Since my mom wasn't using it, she gave me permission to take it home.

I have never done Pilates (which my mom pronounces as "Pie-laits" - she is so cute!) so don't know much about it. I tried the DVD for the first time last week.

First off, I think I would be better suited for a boot camp type of regime where I am constantly yelled at. Because this lady's soothing, soft way of speaking just about put me to sleep. However, I did learn one thing from attempting to do these exercises: I am severely uncoordinated. Severly. To the point that I may qualify for disability. No joke. It is physically impossible for me to breathe according to the Pilates way. And during the introduction, they emphasized how important the breathing and posture is. Basically, if you can't breathe properly and align your body correctly, this whole workout will be useless.

I tried. Really, I tried. And I failed. The ball will again be used as a seat or for my daughter to kick around the house.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Don't give up on the Pie-laits, you will get it eventually! All new workouts take a little practice, you should see me try to Turbo Jam!!

Pam Harris said...

LOL--you should see me trying to shake my groove thang to Hip Hop Abs. Not a pretty sight. My mom has now taken that DVD from me. I may not ask for it back. :)

germaine said...

OMG! my mom says pie-laits too! and we have that same set from costco from back in the day! 3 dif types of balls right? They gotta be twins. Remember the sewing machine and vacuum cleaner, and just about everything else that they have the same....why am i surprised?

ImperfectAnna said...

I loved the pilates class I took. Honestly, I never really saw a difference, but it always released the tension in my muscles. I wasn't great with the breathing to start, but you get the hang of it. Just like with the trampoline! Give it another shot.