Thursday, March 4, 2010

Spur Gastropub

*Disclosure!!! By no means am I a culinary expert. I enjoy what I enjoy and I like to put in my two cents for, well, basically everything. So take this "review" with a grain of salt!

This past weekend, I went to a new restaurant. I love trying new places and love it even more when the restaurant is amazingly awesome. Trust me, Spur Gastropub was amazingly awesome.

Their menu is available on their blog and it changes each month, but it seems they have a few staples that stay on the menu. I went with two girlfriends and we split these four dishes from Spur's February menu:


















Parmesan Gnocchi
parsnip. hedgehog mushroom. brussel sprout.

I didn't think to take pictures until I took my first bite. Or maybe the food was just that good that I knew I had to blog about it! So the picture is the Gnocchi dish three bites in. Oh holy deliciousness. My mouth was engulfed in yummy happiness! The gnocchi was a wonderful texture and size, it looked to be pan seared before being bathed in their lusciously light cream sauce. I could have eaten two bowls of this to myself and still not had enough. It was that good.



















Steamed Mussels
potato. leek. bacon.

This dish was good, but it was my least favorite of the four. My judgement, however, was compromised from their outstanding gnocchi. The sauce served with the mussels was good, if a bit salty. Definitely scrumptious enough for me to have left no shell unturned though.




 Pork Belly Sliders
celery root. apple. mustard.

Oh. Good. God. The name really says it all. Who wouldn't like a crunchy square of pork belly sandwiched between two toasted mini buns? Top it off with a fruity glaze, and I am your love slave for eternity. Being Filipino, I know the combination of savory pork and sweet sauce is a match made in heaven, but I still was shocked at how yummy this dish really was when combining all the ingredients. Aah, that's amoré!


Sockeye Salmon Crostini
mascarpone. caper. pickled shallot.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the Salmon Crostini, which was as beautiful to the eye as it was to my tastebuds! It probably had something to do with the glass of wine I had finished. I am such a lightweight when it comes to alcohol - oh why can't that statement be true in relation to my weight? (says the girl blogging about food). Despite the generous amount of mascarpone, this dish was very light and almost summery feeling. My friend, Germaine, put it best when she said that she enjoyed this as our last dish because it was so fresh tasting. It cleaned up the palate from the meal." A perfect ending. 


Funny moment: we were so excited with how good our food was that when we saw a dish walk by we would check it out, you know, to see if it was taste-test worthy. Germaine spots a dish with a substantial amount of food on it and when the waitress walks by us, Germaine asks with unabashed excitement, "Excuse me, what was that?"

The waitress responds, "A side of fries."

Aah, yes, with all these delectable and intricate dishes before us, we covet the ultimate dish: a side of french fries.

1 comment:

ImperfectAnna said...

The food looks and sounds delicious! I love gnocchi. I'll have to try that place out sometime. The name kind of freaks me out though. Sounds like science.
Great job on your weight loss. I'm stuck at just under 200, and it's not looking good.