Friday, March 12, 2010

Trampoline Fiend!

Dull workout routine? Try something outside the box.

We have found the funnest workout EVER! Trampoline AIRobics! Sky High Sports in Bellevue is a trampoline arena. You need to seriously check out the gallery on their website and you might understand how much fun I had last night. It was an hour long class of sweat, laughter, some pain, and pure childhood fun.

I haven't been on a trampoline for at least the last fifteen years. I am a scaredy cat, which is why I have never done any sports or ever been athletic. I am afraid of basketballs, baseballs, footballs, soccer balls ... you get the picture: No team sports for me.

But OMG, this was such a fun time and anyone can do it! Well, at least anyone 10-years-old or older. But you don't have to be an athlete in any way, shape, or form. The moment that I stepped onto the trampoline, I was stiff and scared. I couldn't do the simple jump, land on your bottom, push up with your hands, then land on your feet. I watched my two friends, Lauren and Germaine, have no issues with this routine. I paused and watched them to see how I could emulate their movements. The major difference I noticed was that they were relaxed and not stiff. The second difference I noticed was that they were full on landing on their bottoms. I was too scared to land on my bum that I would angle forward instead of back, causing me to land first with my heels, then legs, then finally bottom. By the time I had landed, there wasn't any momentum left to land back up on my feet. So I wiggled out the stiffness and I went for it, and I did it! It was a small feat at the time, but it really helped me for the duration of the class. The key was really to relax and just jump with abandon!

There were two breaks during the class. By the time the first break came around, I had sweat dripping down my face! That hasn't happened in forever either. On the days that I go to the gym, I always end up doing an hour of the elliptical, the cross-trainer, or a bike/treadmill combination. Since no one is pushing me to go! go! go!, I tend to do just enough to keep my heart rate up. Plus, let's face it, an hour of the same machine is monotonous and B-O-R-I-N-G. But AIRobics was awesome because I was working out harder than I do at the gym without even noticing it. My mentality was that I was playing, not doing cardio.

Hopefully you can find something like this in your area, because it is really worth it!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Can't wait to go again!! It was a blast!!

ImperfectAnna said...

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make it to the next one with you girls, because I have my guitar lessons. I would really like to though. It sounds like an absolute blast!
Great job on mastering the butt bounce; I'm not sure if I can muster up the courage for that. I'm so clumsy. I've been know to fall off trampolines.
I wonder if it's okay for people with weak knees, what do you think?