Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Writing

It's been a good long while since I have posted anything about writing. The main reason for that is because I haven't really been writing anything. My current story has been untouched for a few weeks now and has stalled at just over 10,000 words. I still like the idea of it, but haven't found any motivation to write it.

Then, last Tuesday, I got an idea for another story. I started to put it on paper right away and am currently at just over 9,300 words. Not to say that they are quality words, but there they are.

Is this a bad idea? Is this a problem that most writers face: not finishing a story to work on another idea? Am I starting a vicious cycle of partially written ideas?

How many writing projects do you work on at a time?

3 comments:

Lisa@saltandlightstudio said...

I don't believe in plowing through any art form, I think you need to really be IN IT to produce something special. If you've got a NEED or urge to write a new story, then I say write it. Write until the well is dry and then take a break. Don't focus on the end, just write.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

BlogBaby's BabyMama

Natasha Bennett said...

I have done multiple projects, but I generally try to limit myself to two only. Otherwise I find other stories get neglected, which can be tough when you're under a deadline.

germaine said...

In life in general, I find it difficult to finish ANY task I start, whether it's work, folding the kids laundry, hobby projects...

You work full time and you're a mom, you have house chores, relationships, and you're trying to write a book. Don't be disappointed with yourself if you have a lack of focus or ability to finish. You're busy. When the time is right or your situation allows, I'm sure you'll finish any or all of the projects that you deem worthy at that moment.

Maybe revisit the older stories after a while and see if you have any new ideas or if you think they're still worth finishing. It's not like you're in a rush. Or maybe force yourself to write a little bit of one story each day? I'm not a writing expert, just a friend who's excited to see what you do with your talent. :)