Wednesday, April 14, 2010

!@#$!

It is Weigh-In Wednesday #15. Someone is messing with my emotions. Let me explain...

Yesterday was the first day back to the gym because I have been sick for a couple of weeks. The last time I had gone was on April 2nd. No exercise = no weight loss. I know this, no big deal. On top of that, my friends and I celebrated a birthay on Saturday. This party included pizza, hot wings, and gooey caramely cinnamon buns compliments of Costco. Bad food = no weight loss and/or potential weight gain. I know this.

Bear with me here, this is going to be a long story.

For the past week, I have been consuming less calories per day by skipping breakfast. Not because I condone skipping meals, but I am trying to eat only when I am hungry, and I just am not hungry in the mornings. On top of that, I have been sick and it was super painful to swallow.

I read an article on AOL about a man that lost 50 pounds in 18 months by riding a bicycle and exercising portion control. My biggest problem with food is portion control. So yesterday, after I profusely sweat it out at the gym, I ate dinner. I spooned a portion of spaghetti on my plate that was half the amount I normally would've eaten. I ate the spaghetti and two servings of ceasar salad. An hour after dinner I was getting hunger pains. But I stayed strong and chose not to eat anything else because I knew the next day was my official weigh-in day.

I stayed up until 11:00 to watch The Biggest Loser. I was starving the entire time. I went to bed hungry. I had a hard time falling asleep because I was excited about my weigh-in today. I was expecting a loss of 3-4 pounds. I woke up at 4:00 am and again at 5:00 am. Still hungry both times. Finally, at 6:00 am my alarm goes off. I go into the bathroom, strip down and hop on the scale. I had such a restless sleep that I was super groggy by the time I got on the scale. I stared down at my scale and read the number. It didn't make sense and I totally forgot what I was doing. I rubbed my eyes and cleared my head of the last remnants of sleep. I looked down again. I stared at the number: 195.6 pounds.

No. Way.

No. Fucking. Way.

I did not lose 13 pounds in one week. There is just no way. I have a digital scale that requires you to tap on the scale and wait for it to read 0.00 lbs before hopping on. I step off, wait for the scale to turn off, tap on it, 0.00 shows up, then I hop back on. 195.6 pounds again. It doesn't make sense, so I weigh again. This time, I am at 193.8 pounds. That's not right.

Hop off, scale turns off, tap it, 0.00, get back on. 193.8 pounds.

I don't believe it! Literally do not believe what I am seeing. I try another tactic. I tap on the scale and wait for it to turn to 0.00 pounds. Then I crouch down and press into it with both hands. It said 31.8 pounds. Ok, my scale is good to go. So I again hop off, scale turns off, I tap it, 0.00, and get back on.195.6.

One more time: step down, scale off, tap, 0.00, step on. 193.8 pounds.

My heart races. Could it be? Could my sacrifices of the day before really have been worth it? Did I really just break the 200 mark?

I ran over to a sleeping John and asked him to weigh himself. After what seemed like an hour he says, "According to your scale, I have lost 4 pounds." That is reasonable right? My scale must be accurate. I decide to weigh myself again. By this point, I have brushed my teeth, washed my face and started putting my makeup on. Generally, doing my morning routine could add up to a pound from my initial weigh-in. Fully clothed, I get back on the scale. 206.6.

My heart sank. I knew it. I knew 13 pounds wasn't right, but the scale had me fooled. So now, I didn't want to believe the scale even though I new it was being more accurate. I wanted that "1" in the beginnig of my weight. So I stripped back down and got on the scale. This time it read 200.6 pounds. I wanted to cry. Why was this happening to me?! I weighed myself two more times, same number: 200.6 pounds.

At this point, my daughter had woken up and was watching her morning cartoons. I recruited her to be weighed. She was 55 pounds. This was accurate. I weigh her twice. Same number.

My turn. I step on again. 203.6 pounds.

Weigh again. 203.6 pounds.

I gave up. I decided to mark down what I believed to be the most accurate measurement: 206.6 pounds.

For those of you that struggle with your weight, I think you can feel my pain. I was on the verge of tears. Why was this happening to me and not to Bella or John - neither of them even care about their weight! I'm sorry for the overly described morning I had, but this was really traumatic for me. Breaking through that 200 mark is a huge milestone and I feel like I just got cheated out of it.

Current Weight: 206.6 pounds.
Reason for Weight-Loss: My bridesmaid dress came in this week. I am picking it up today and I know it won't fit yet. I am positive that I need to lose just 15 pounds to fit in that dress by June 25th. I can do this.

2 comments:

Pam Harris said...

The night hunger pangs are the worse! I chew a lot of gum to get me through it. A lot. Hang in there--you'll reach your goal. :)

germaine said...

OMG! How emotional. My emotions were going up and down just reading your story! I was super happy for you, then anxious, then disappointed, then hopeful, then sad....

Man. That's rough. Those scales are always tricky, even the digital ones. Maybe just focus on getting healthy and fitting more comfortably into your clothes??

I know there have been some times I was working out diligently, eating ok, and fitting much better into my clothes to the point that they were actually LOOSE and I had much more energy, but that stupid scale said I actually GAINED WEIGHT!! You never know. As long as you look and feel better I guess...

Good luck Mel!