Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Pilot

I am a coward. Read on and you will see why.

I turned 28-years-old on September 12, 2009. I am 28 and haven't achieved any major accomplishments. No, I didn't go to college. Yes, I did accomplish the one task that a devout catholic mother dreads: my boyfriend and I have a 3 1/2 year old. Don't get me wrong, Grandma loves my daughter, but nothing would've pleased her more than if I had had a child with a husband instead of a boyfriend.

I have always been the type that hated aging. Twenty-one was a good age to stop at. Ok, maybe I could live with remaining 24 forever. Obnoxious, I know, but I can't help it.

So, obviously I lived past the age of 24 and obviously I didn't stop aging. But looking back on my life, I am suddenly irked by the fact that I haven't done anything amazing. I haven't "left my mark" in the world. I started thinking about what I would like to accomplish before I turn 30 and three things came to mind:

1.) Lose 80 pounds.
2.) Clear the credit card debt that I have racked up.
3.) Publish a book.

Here is where the cowardice comes in. I am too ashamed of my weight to publish it for the world to see. I am too horrified by my credit card debt to write down the actual figure.

One of the above three will happen this year. The other one will happen during my 29th year, if not sooner. The third goal, unfortunately, depends on other parties and isn’t a guarantee to ever be completed, let alone by my 30th birthday.

I know, compared to the first two goals, the third one seems random. And it is. I wrote a book. A fluff book I love and my friends and family love. But they are my friends and family, so they kind of have to love it. I have gotten over 75 rejections, and can certainly take a hint. That book has been laid to rest. I am starting another book though. Why would I start another book when the first one didn’t work out? The feeling of accomplishment. And that is exactly what my blog is about - accomplishments. But simply writing a book isn’t enough of an accomplishment for me. I want the book to matter and to be out there - legitimately. Not because I had to pay to publish it. I want it to be good enough, entertaining enough for someone else to say, “Yes, you are awesome, your book is awesome, let’s publish your awesomeness!”

So here is to day one of my two year plan.

Wait, it’s October already? But I turned 28 in September. Fine, here is to day one of my 23 month plan. Doesn’t have quite the same ring to it. Should’ve started on my birthday.

Damn, already behind.

No comments: