Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Great Concept, Bad Writing

I have gotten some really wonderful comments and suggestions on the forum that I had mentioned earlier. My blog readers have also provided some wonderful comments which I truly appreciate and cherish.

I follow Jenny Bent's blog and one of her interns, Mandy Hubbard, was a guest blogger the other day. Ms. Hubbard is the author of Prada & Prejudice and her backstory on getting her book published is pretty inspiring to me. It is an interesting read, so if you want to read it, go here.

After reading the post, I am faced with two options at this point (I warned you that I am a wishy washy person, always going back and forth):

1.) Put my book away and come back to it in a couple of years.
2.) Put the original book away. Open a blank Word document, keep the same concept and just start telling the story from scratch.

I am confident in the concept of Mix Tape, I have just been forced to understand that the writing isn't up to par. But the concept seems so current and something that people could really relate to. Plus, I am slightly superstitious and I see so many things with the mix tape theme. Like this, this, this, this - ok, you get the picture. It is everywhere! Pop culture is calling for my book!

If I go with the second option, I might try it in third person, past tense. However, I noticed a trend with chick lit books that they are generally written in first person, present tense. Hmm, Ijust don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

PS
Here is a real mix tape USB stick at Wishing Fish. One of my friends thought I came up with the concept when she read my book. Nope, sorry, I am not that cool.


3 comments:

Pam Harris said...

I say go against the trend--try it in third person. It'll make your book stick out from the crowd. I definitely don't think you should scrap it--your concept is too unique. You just haven't found the right home yet. Have you queried Paige Wheeler from Folio? I know she really loves strong, women voices. I met her at a conference and she was really sweet and down-to-earth. Plus, she LOVES it when writers start up their own blogs; she was actually who inspired me to create my blog. Good luck! :)

Melanie said...

I did query at Folio, not Paige though. I queried Laney Katz Becker. It stopped at the query. Rejection.

Holly Lefevre said...

I saw a comment of yours at Straight Jackets are Slimming and thought I'd pop over. This whole process is hard, but worth it. I have not published fiction (only non-fiction), but I think in either category, you got to go with what feels natural in your writing..it makes it easier and more genuine. I am looking forward to reading some of your chapters.
Holly