Tuesday, August 24, 2010

She Should've Known Better

Let me tell you a little story about my day yesterday.

While at work, I left my post at the receptionist desk to check the fax machine. As I was coming back to my desk, a woman was waiting to be helped. This woman was very oddly shaped. She was about a size 14 from her chest up and like a 22 or 24 below. Ok, normally I don't comment on a woman's size, but this woman was wearing spandex from head to toe! I could see every crevasse, ripple, and roll. All I thought was how inappropriate that outfit is on that woman. Was this a mean thing to think? Yes, but you would've understood if you had seen her! And don't you worry, she certainly got back at me for my mean thoughts.

I came back around to my desk and helped the person who was holding for me on the phone. I then turned to the inapproriately dressed, disproportioned woman, smiled in greeting and said, "Hi, how can I help you?"

The woman started off with, "Well..." Then she cuts herself off, points at my stomach, smiled and continued with, "Oh, how cute. You're expecting!"

Blood rushed to my face with a mixture of humiliation and anger. The smile disappeared from my face. Possible responses that flashed through my brain were:

1.) "Wow. You of all people - you should know better than to ask someone that!"

2.) "Oh yes. Baby is coming any day now!"

3.) "No, just fat. Like you."

4.) "No, but you must be! Congratulations!"

Instead, I took the "professional" route and responded with, "No, I'm not. How can I help you?"

The woman didn't apologize and just said, "Ok, I will shut up now." And she continued on with what she came in for in the first place.

Here's the thing: I am big girl. I know that and am trying to fix that. I don't have any misconceptions about my body. I have a lot of weight to lose. I do have a larger belly, but it isn't the hard round pregnant looking stomach. It is a nice soft, come-rest-your-head-on-my-king-sized-pillow-of-a-stomach type of belly. I know that I don't look pregnant. I just look fat.

I am positive that she said what she did to insult me, and not because she really thought I was pregnant. First off, she caught me staring at her body, which I am sure she must not have been pleased by. But the main reason is because she, as a large woman, knows better than to say something like that to someone. She. Should. Know. Better.

Another reason is the lack of humiliation and remorse after I set her straight that I was not pregnant. Or maybe she really was just a moron. Take your pick.

This situation really had me seething all day yesterday and, so far, all day today. Whatever, I have a date with the gym after work to try and get rid of my faux pregnancy.

Hopefully your Monday ended a little better than mine did.

2 comments:

Lisa@saltandlightstudio said...

Good for you controlling your tongue Melanie, I'm sure that was hard to do given the circumstances.

Does it help to know that I had an acquaintance ask me the exact same question last week? Nope, not preggo either just hanging on to the baby weight from BlogBaby's birth 2 1/2 years ago. Sigh...

BlogBaby's BabyMama

Melanie said...

Thanks BabyMama. I feel for you.

If someone as slender as you are is getting these comments, there is no hope for me.

No, bad attitude. I will lose my belly. I will! I will! I will!