Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Honorable Mention!

I had a mini OMG moment! Again, it is one of those times where I win nothing of substantial value. I didn't even win the contest. But recognition for something really got my heart palpitating. Janet Reid held a contest to win Betsey Lerner's The Forest for the Trees. I had actually already bought a copy of the book when she first mentioned it, but entered the contest for fun anyway.

On Saturday, she announced the winner and some honorable mentions. Guess who was listed under "Nicely done stories"?!?!?! ME!

I was just skimming all the honorable mentions and saw "Melanie 4:53 pm". Could it really be? There are tons of Melanies following her blog, I am sure. But when did I post my submission?! I quickly skimmed the submissions on the original post and wouldn't you know it. I sure did submit mine at 4:53 pm!

Like I said, I didn't win anything, but just knowing I was on the radar for something really did it for me. I am complete. Well, for the day anyway!

The rules were:
- Tell a story in 100 words or less.
- You must use these words: Paris, Kids, Cullen, Loathing, Temple.

If you were a smart cookie and could guess what the words had in common, you get bonus points. Of course, once I saw the word "Cullen" I could think of nothing else but Twilight. So, I didn't even try to guess what the answer was. But here is my "Nicely done story":

“What are those pale kids supposed to be?” Mother wondered, tapping her finger to her temple.


“Vampires.” I responded, loathing this wretched holiday and wishing I were in Paris.


“But they don’t have any fangs! You can’t be a vampire without any fangs!”

“They are probably from the Cullen clan; the ones from those wildly popular but highly criticized books. They don’t have fangs.”


Mother opens the door and steps outside.


“What are you doing?” I yelled at her.

“Getting my candy back! That is an incomplete costume! You can’t pretend to be a vampire without any fangs.”

Ok, thanks for letting me brag for a quick minute. I promise my head will deflate now. I honestly do realize that I didn't win the contest. Nor was I even a finalist. But whatevs.

2 comments:

Pam Harris said...

Woo hoo! Being recognized by THE Janet Reid is an incredible feat. Cute story. :)

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

WOW- very cool to be on her radar. I'm convinced there's not a nicer shark out there.